GET THE BEAK

GET THE BEAK

Sunday, October 3, 2010

State Of The Music Address


So, with the new release of my favorite band (Pepper) EP, it has dawned on me.  It is a five track album that I have listened to probably 75+ times in the past week.  Now, they ARE a great band, but this shouldn't be.  I shouldn't be SO excited for FIVE fucking songs.  The reason I am, of course, is because there is NOTHING good on the radio.  I LOVE listening to satellite, but I got a sweeeeet DUI (while neither drinking or driving, welcome to Jersey!) so I'm without my satellite unit.  The radio is unbearable, the only good thing to happen to music in the past year is Lil Wayne going to jail so something else might make it to the airwaves once in awhile.  This is what number one songs sound like nowadays. Eminem, Lil Wayne, and Lady Gaga.  Now okay, I can see how Lady Gaga is acceptable, only because this is a style of music that has been outrageously popular for years now.  Over the top fashion meets catchy dance/club anthems.  She's just a K-Mart brand Madonna, that's all.  Madonna doesn't even get a red line under it in Microsoft word.  The bitch is a fucking WORD.  So that's credible, but when did a mumbling black midget blasted on coke, dust, and cough syrup become the voice of a generation?




Yeah, I said it Kanye, don't give me that look...you ain't the voice of, shit, you're a gay fish.

But, I digress...

The one that fucking bothers me the most is Eminem.  Seriously, Marshall Mathers LP, Slim Shady, and Eminem Show were fucking awesome.  Every track, raw, honest, sometimes touching shit.  Angry, real, fierce, and just over the top but just so meaningful.  It was innovative and creative, and made people who didn't like rap start following something new.  You can't say enough about what he did for the industry, but yet people still hated on him then.

MY ELEVEN YEAR OLD COUSIN LISTENS TO EMINEM NOW.....are you fucking kidding me?

Everyone rants and raves about how good the new shit is, about his BIG RETURN.  Yeah...OKAY.  That's the problem, EVERYONE isn't supposed to appreciate it, that's not his thing.  He went from singing about loading his baby girl in the car and dumping mommy's dead cut up body in the lake, to singing about celebrities.  He's like the Family Guy of rap, trying too hard to be relevant by arbitrarily attacking anybody who is popular, without trying to actually work it into the show/song, just poppin it in there.  They say his new stuff is singing from the heart and how emotional it is, and how everything he says is from experiences and it's so meaningful.

Fuck that.

I understand it's impossible to be truly angry at the world once you've won a custody battle, divorce is done with, and you are one of the richest musicians EVER and everyone likes you no matter what BULLSHIT you put out.  It's hard to have rage in you once you have the world at your fingertips.  Your lyrics don't HAVE to be great if you can have whatever producer you want producing your raps, and have any rapper you want alongside of you.

Dude, you're doing cameos with Rhianna.  Congrats, you just gave her another single to her greatest hits (although we all know what the greatest Rhianna hit was, and it was the one inside a Lamborghini) You know, at first I thought Chris Brown was a scumbag, but than the Umbrella song came out, and I think she may of gotten off easy.

Give it up people, broaden your fucking horizons. Turn the FM dial off, spend a few bucks and buy radio that plays something different.  Or use Pandora, what the fuck ever.  There's a lot of great shit out there that just flies under the radar and deserves to be heard.

4 comments:

  1. some good points in here and you made me laugh too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Thing with me is, I dont usually listen to genres of music, I listen to the artists. Like Tiesto, I love him, but I dont listen to any other trance DJs.
    Maybe I should turn a radio on, instead of just listening to the same albums over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good points! keep up the blogging man!

    ReplyDelete